British Council - Generation UK - China
years of partnership
We provide award-winning internship, study, travel and consulting services.
Launched by the British Council in 2013, the Generation UK programme offers funded internship placements and academic scholarships for UK students in China. By 2020, the programme aims to have helped 80,000 students from the UK boost their employability, enhance their long-term job prospects, and develop a global mind-set through study and work experience opportunities in China.
By encouraging students to engage with China, Generation UK aims to bring young people from both countries closer together, increase mutual understanding, and pave the way to lasting links and partnerships. The Generation UK – China campaign is supported by all four government administrations in the UK (England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland).
“CRCC Asia is one of our current partners in delivering internships for UK students in China. They have helped British students under the Generation UK – China programme gain valuable cross-cultural business skills through placements across a range of industries and locations. They have received very positive feedback from participants with regard to both the internship placement itself and the pastoral care they provide during the placement.”
Steven Hutt, Head of Outward Mobility, British Embassy in China
Eligibility and Funding
The Generation UK – China campaign is supported by all four government administrations in the UK (England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland).
Generation UK – China is committed to social mobility and widening participation in the higher education sector. Funding support is focused on helping talented first-generation scholars and students from low-income backgrounds.
To be eligible for our Generation UK – China internship programme, you must meet one of the following financial eligibility criteria’s depending on which year you began your studies, where you study and from which student funding body you are receiving support from. You will be asked to provide official documentation in support of your application which details the level of support you receive based on your household income.
Please review this Generation UK – China Internship – Finance Eligibility pdf document, which has been supplied by the British Council. Please review the section that applies to you.
General Eligibility Requirements:
- Aged 18 years and above.
- A UK citizen/EU home student.
- Achieved or on track to achieve a 2:1.
- Currently enrolled full-time at a UK university (2nd year and above) or have graduated from a UK university within the past year (within 12 months of the programme dates).
- You meet the financial eligibility as outlined here: Generation UK – China Internship – Finance Eligibility
- Not in receipt of any other Generation UK – China funding.
- 2-month internship placement in an industry of your choice
- Airport Pickup
- Induction Day & Welcome Banquet
- Welcome Pack (inc. business cards, SIM cards, travel card, city guide)
- Company Drop-Off
- Weekly Mandarin Lessons
- Monthly cultural and business events
- Dedicated on the ground support
- Living Expenses
- Program Deposit (Refundable upon program completion)
|Programme Start Date||Programme City||Programme Duration||Programme End date|
|May 3, 2018||Beijing, Shanghai or Shenzhen||2 months||June 27, 2018|
|May 31, 2018||July 25, 2018|
|June 21, 2018||August 15, 2018|
|July 19, 2018||September 12, 2018|
|August 16, 2018||October 10, 2018|
|October 11, 2018||December 5, 2018|
Deadlines and Assessment
*Applications for those studying at universities in England and Scotland closed on Sunday 28th January 2018 (23:59).
*Applications for those studying at universities in Northern Ireland and Wales will close on Sunday 11th February 2018 (23:59).
Applicants will be subject to our competitive assessment process, and funding will be awarded to those students who display an excellent academic record and strong interest in China, subject to British Council approval. There will be three stages of assessment:
- Application & Sift (Conducted by CRCC Asia)
- Interview (Conducted by CRCC Asia).
- Final British Council Assessment
- Please note the Generation UK-China opportunity is separate to the CRCC Asia Global Scholarship.
- CRCC Asia is one of two exclusive suppliers for the Generation UK-China Internship Programs. You can only apply to one supplier. If you apply to another supplier, your application will not be considered.
Feel free to contact our London office on (+44) 207 193 7907 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications for the 2018 Generation UK – China programme for students studying at English, Welsh or Scottish universities are now closed.
If you would like to be notified if and when applications for England and Scotland reopen or more funding becomes available, please complete this short form.